Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ballsbridge Mother

This is St Bartholomew's Church in Ballsbridge and is very close to where I live. For some time it has been my intention to photograph its clock tower over the seasons, a la Claude Monet's studies of Rouen Cathedral. Such a project needs organisation and patience - and perhaps this photograph is the start. Today, it just so happened that the sun was shining and there was a beautiful blue sky with fluffy clouds. Inside a couple of hours it was raining, so I had some luck. The church itself is a symbol and is feminine. I particularly like one of St. Hildegard of Bingen's visions. "I saw the figure of a vast woman, like the city. On her head, she wore a wonderful crown. Down her arms streamed rays of glory from Heaven to Earth. Her womb was like a thousand-meshed net with crowds of people going in and out." Hildegard was arguing for the female principle which has hitherto been restricted by most societies.