Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Circus and Cat

I want to thank my neighbour's children for this shot. I left the objects where they were since they looked nice together - no more or less than that. But it did make me think about the circus. In theory, a circus is merely a bounded circle within which events take place. At the circus, the events are of a type that we might dream about - encounters with animals, walking the tightrope, eating fire, clowning around, climbing, falling or bending our bodies into impossible shapes. The circus is a very old form and hence many of the things I've described are archetypal as is the circle itself. According to Jung, the circle is the totality of the psyche. If you dream you are in a circus, consider what you are doing and how it feels. If you are walking the tightrope, high above the ring, are you confident or scared? Ask yourself how you feel about the circus. Try associating "circus" to things or sayings you know. For example, we say, "He ran away with the circus". I haven't said anything about the cat, have I? It looks like the cat is sleeping on the chair. That's what cats do ....