Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Wee Graffiti Hoose

This small house is just around the corner and defies development in the area. It's got a fair amount of graffiti and I think a rock band used to practice there. I particularly liked the outline of a girl or woman reaching for something. For the photograph itself, I gave a high key look after I'd saturated the reds and greens. What would Gaston Bachelard make of this house I wonder? But for all its run-down nature this house retains some charm and interest. Just what is it doing here, nestling amongst its more affluent neighbours? And the graffiti? The word is derived from the Italian graffitito " - scratched", more or less. It might well be that the earliest of the modern graffiti styles were advertisements for prostitutes. So say the local guides an ancient sites. Certainly, Roman harlots wore a label with their name on their forehead so I guess I'm making a case for the theory. I'm relying on Erich Neumann for the following message. We have to be careful here, because the harlot is related to the Great Mother who is a virgin. This is often mistaken for chastity. Because she is unrelated and not dependent on any man, she is a universal female type and hence a sacral type in antiquity. She, the fertility Goddess, is ready to give herself to any man because it's all about fruitfulness and fertility. And there's much more than that but we're along way from graffiti ...