Saturday, November 28, 2009

Deep Blue Science

I took this shot some years ago on a visit to Knightsbridge or "museum land" as I like to call it. It's in the Blue Cafe of the Science Museum, which I have featured before. Well worth a visit on its own, it has its own beer (in a deep blue bottle, naturally). This shot was taken at a very low shutter speed so the subjects have moved a little, giving themselves a lovely halo. I'd like to say it was intentional. But I never paid the image much attention until I took a second look recently and cropped the picture a bit. The mother and daughter are looking intently at something and I cannot remember what this was. But there is some kind of dynamic between the two. In mythology, Demeter and Persephone were the mother and daughter of Eleusian mysteries. Persephone was Demeter's daughter by Zeus and the bond was so strong that when Persephone was abducted by Hades, Demeter made the whole world barren. She searched and searched for her daughter and when she discovered her, she did a deal with Hades allowing Persephone to stay some time in the underworld and the rest with her mother. Kerenyi (Archetypal Image of Mother and Daughter) argues that this is part of woman's search for completion and for all people's search for identity. It's a few years on now for my two subjects. I can't help wondering how they are.