Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pecking Order

There are many photographs of pigeons in cities and usually I tend to ignore them unless they are doing something completely unusual. But I liked these two for some reason - and they were tucking in. In the city they are very much a link between heaven and earth - and anyone who has had to take a suit to the dry cleaners because of birds may wryly smile. Symbolically, in the East birds are regarded with suspicion whereas in Celtic tradition it's all very nice. Birds can raise the dead from their sleep by singing so sweetly and so on. In my case, my photographic foray was interrupted by what my American friends call a "wise guy". Very annoyingly he put his feet closer and closer to the munching pigeons until they flew in the air. On his departure they immediately came back for the food and tucked in. So here's that shot!