Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Leaves are not Brown

The leaves are round the corner in Raglan Road, part of the Elgin Estate in Ballsbridge. These leaves always fascinated me because of their strange texture - and I only notice them when they are brown. Perhaps they are always brown. So perhaps it's my uncertainty that led me to render them in monochrome and give them a kind of Magritte title. For these leaves form a hedge, which is a boundary - and the house is attractive so occasionally one sees people peering through the leaves. What kind of space is demarcated? Lefebvre says that this is a space where access is prohibited either relatively (to neighbours and friends) or absolutely (to neighbours or enemies). I find the strange texture of the hedge is quite forbidding so perhaps I fall in the second category. But in the context of a settled society, plundering enemies would be unusual - although thieves still make their presence felt from time to time in the neighbourhood. In this social milieu, it can also be considered as an extension of the property owner's body. During my period with an experiential group, one evening the talk fell to discussions about thresholds, doors, fences, and gates. The supervisor pointed out that we were talking about boundaries between ourselves - and so we were.