Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rainy Day Cappuccio

After a mild day, the rain came. Some of were prepared like our subject and some were not. A few that I saw thought it would be as mild as yesterday - and were dressed for summer. I had a hat so I was OK! This person is so well prepared that he has a kind of fisherman look with the long coat and hood, which brings me to the subject for today, the hood or cappuccio in Italian. The Capuchin Order (Friars Minor) of course gave their name to cappuccino coffee, which is not to be drunk after 11. a.m. You don't believe me I am sure, but it will upset your stomach and you may receive a visit from the Food Police. Jung felt that the hood was of the celestial and a person so cowled evoked death - because in wearing the hood, you vanish, a bit like the monks in religious orders do. The recent trend for teenagers to wear "hoodies" infuriates adults because youngsters cannot be recognised. But their invisibility is specifying the hidden and the obscure. They are saying "You cannot recognise me or my state, which is close to death. That is the way I feel and yet you adults callously disregard my needs and feelings, calling me names." That is typical of youth culture. Young people express identity in a variety of ways and here some irony is employed. It's the apparent lack of identity that draws our attention. Historically, the head gear of the assassin is a hood and he of course brings death. Dagda in Celtic mythology has no less than seven hoods of invisibility that he wore in battle - all at the same time. Now that is going too far!