Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Top of the Chimney

Everyone must be thinking I am obsessed with chimneys. It wasn't intended this way. The chimney belongs to a house in Wicklow that borders gardens that are open to the public. A large sign on a bridge over the river says "Private", which makes it all the more intriguing. I knew there was a weather vane but I couldn't see it properly until I had enlarged the photograph. There is a very nice fish on top! The effect was achieved by stripping out the colour and using a red filter, then mixing black and white and polarised colour settings together. It was a bit of an accident but there was no turning back. I don't think I could do it again since it was achieved with Virtual Photographer and I cannot use that and Photoshop layers together successfully. In Ancient Greece a weather vane depicting the God, Triton, was placed above the Tower of Winds in Athens. Weather vanes are all about breath. The Druids sought to repel invaders' ships by literally exerting their magic upon them, breathing winds into, but not above their sails. In dreams, experiencing a wind may indicate a change of some kind. The winds are a symbol of energy, so if you do dream of them, check out which way they blow, whether you are in a sailing vessel or in a familiar street. What would that mean to you?