Saturday, May 29, 2010

My friends all have Porsches (I must make amends)

I strolled out on a wet Saturday, which in Scotland we would call dreich, (a word that can be applied to anything miserable, including the weather). I took the camera bag and as I walked down the street, I shouldered the camera so that it was at the ready. When the Mercedes blue and the raindrops beckoned I reckoned it would make a student shot and be none the worse for that. As the shutter closed I was startled by a loud, irate voice asking what I was doing. The motorist had taken offence. I pointed out my task and all was resolved. But somehow the irony of this great Janis Joplin song stuck in my head and niggled and poked at me all the way to Baggot Street. Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz/My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends/ Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends/ So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz. These times are very demanding and stressful and sometimes they get the better of us. So the antidote to the worry of being Porsche-less - or anything else for that matter - is to de-stress with an exercise like this. Imagine you are driving your car (or any car you want) to a beautiful beach where giant rolling waves crash dramatically on the sands. Proceed to a parking spot with a small retaining wall to the rear and begin to park your car so that it faces the sea. Put the car in reverse and gradually inch towards the wall. For each movement back take in a small breath and hold it. Keep reversing, taking and holding more small breaths. Retain your breath until you have reached the wall satisfactorily. You are ready to breathe out now. So turn to face the sea where a large wave is about to recede. As you watch it go, release your breath and imagine the wave carrying your problems away. Now they are lost in the vast ocean.