Friday, October 22, 2010

Letter Box in the Gate

I guess we are still in the autumn series with all these vegetation pictures, leaves gradually turning brown as the seasons move towards winter. I liked this "hidden gate", which is not really hidden of course, although it looks like it might eventually get that way. The letter box was rather fascinating and very rural for such an urban area. I took several versions of this shot but I did use a filter to increase the saturation on the browns of the gate and the ivy vines. Gates generally signify an opening to enlightenment and to the universe. It looms large in Christianity - the gates of righteousness of Psalms (118 19-20) for example. "Open to me the gates of righteousness and I will go into them ... this gate of the Lord, into which the righteous will enter." When we go through the symbolic gate we pass from one state to another. Does the gate invite us to cross the threshold? I suppose it does.