Sunday, April 24, 2011

Duck Sandwich

It's not that unusual to see ducks in my neighbourhood where they frequent Herbert Park. But this is close to the centre, so I was surprised, not only by their presence there, but by the busy corner they had elected to stroll around. Ducks don't care, clearly. They have definitely been mentioned before in this blog. In the far east they symbolise marriage and felicity because duck and drake will swim in each other's company. American Indians think highly of ducks as spirit guides and use duck feathers in dances and rituals. But of ducks in Welsh or Irish mythology, no mention can be found. They tend to be confused with swans apparently. These days when I see a duck I can't help thinking of the Marx Brothers film Cocoanuts. Looking at a map, Groucho says "I say, here is a little peninsula, and here is a viaduct leading over to the mainland." To which Chico responds "Why a duck? Why that...why a duck? Why a no chicken? " Of course it continues with a typical Groucho non-sequitur "Well, I don't know why a no chicken; I'm a stranger here myself!" That's what come to mind for me of course, not the symbolism of ducks. Psychoanalytically, if I reported a dream about ducks I would have to explain all my associations including Marx Brothers, chickens and viaducts. Come to think of it - wasn't there a viaduct in the previous blog photograph? Why? Why a no chicken?