Friday, October 14, 2011

Numbers in Pluto Park

I've spoken of this park before. It's very nice to stroll through and when I do I always notice the numbers on every post. They're very bold and make quite a statement. I'm not talking of numbers as mathematical or their use for listing and categorisation. It's rather their use as symbols that interests us here. There is a view, coming from ancient times, that numbers have power and significance beyond simply expressing quantity. Plato referred to numerology as "the highest level of knowledge. It sticks in my mind in the Book of Revelation 13:16-18 states that "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six." The number is a person and to address someone by number is like naming them. It's that action of naming. which is said to have mystical properties. In the Fulani culture, it is de rigueur to give numbers to things close to you. Mention of how many children, cattle or even your age is not acceptable. To do so would be to release power that flows without stopping. I'm not suggesting these numbers mean anything sinister is happening in Pluto Park. Whether the iron structures are from the factory that used to stand here, I cannot say, but they all have a number and the numbers seem to say more than mere words.