Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Chains. Holding, bonding and integration

It's been a while since I posted and here we are with another bike. I did say that there's always another picture, but when you've lived in the 'hood as long as I have, it sometimes feels like I've photographed every last brick. But what do you know? I noticed this bike in the same position for a while - which is kind of odd, isn't it? A photo was in order but it was only in the execution that I became aware of the chain. Of course, it's wise to lock up your property. Few in their right mind would leave their front door open. But I suddenly imagined a small child bustling from the house, unlocking the bike and heading to the shops and smiled. Today's symbol is not the bike but the chain. A chain connotes binding. "Take these chains from my heart and set me free," demonstrates the perceived hold over oneself by another. But holding also implies a collective virtue of solidarity that is willingly accepted - the bond. The collective bond is extremely important in political and religious spheres. But the betrayal of such a bond incurs some kind of punishment - perhaps exclusion from the Kingdom of Heaven or some Promised Land of the future. So dreaming of chains might refer to a failure to accept integration on the individual or collective level. The dreamer of chains may consider the following. What are the chains made of - precious or base metal? Is the chain broken? What is the chain attached to? Chains are also ceremonial so maybe you want to be Mayor? Or perhaps you'd like to be in charge of some public organisation. In Irish mythology, Morran the Judge had a chain necklace which tightened if he made a wrong judgement. Now that chain is a compelling chain and perhaps the one to consider.